Are you athletic and are you overweight? Well, if it is your case, you should know that you cannot make any diet to lose weight, but one that suits your sporting needs. Accompany me! I’ll tell you everything you need to know to start a diet for athletes.
First of all, you should know that when an athlete like you is overweight, it is necessary to make a special diet, since the energy needs, macro and micro nutrients are different from those who do not perform high-performance physical activity. For this it is necessary to establish diets not only slimming, but also, consider the nutritional requirements that you have as an athlete.
Who should make a diet for athletes?
Undoubtedly, you will already be aware of why athletes need a special diet. However, it is likely that you still have doubts about whether this diet is suitable for you. Well, the answer is yours. Are you an athlete?
It is considered that a person is an athlete when he performs daily physical activity for more than 80 minutes. Hence, if indeed, you are, keep in mind that to maintain the current rhythm of physical work, it is necessary that you meet the daily nutritional requirements you have, even when you are overweight.
Overweight athletes should get back to their ideal or usual weight, in order to achieve higher performance. To do this you must complete a diet low in calories, but that covers all needs, either of macronutrients (carbohydrates, proteins and fats), as of micronutrients (vitamins and minerals).
What should include in a diet for the athlete?
Now, the caloric distribution that is recommended in the diets for athletes is the following. Take note:
- Include a high percentage of carbohydrates in your diet. In effect, carbohydrates should represent between 55 and 60% of the total calories of your intakes.
- Prefers complex carbohydrates rich in fiber. Keep in mind that these carbohydrates should be covered by complex sugars, such as: whole grains, legumes, fruits, vegetables, semolina-based pasta. This is because the body needs these sources of food to form glucose (fuel) to be used at the time of the physical exercise. In addition, the fiber is satiating, which in the case of low calorie diets are usually very useful.
- Increase your reserves before competing. A few days before the competition, you can consume extra preparations to achieve an organic glycogen reserve, in this way the body will have sufficient energy reservation.
- Reduce your fat intake. It must not exceed between 20 and 25% of the total diet.
- Avoid saturated and trans fat. Do not forget that your diet should be low in saturated fats, although fats are necessary to maintain a good state of health, such as the absorption of vitamins A, D, E and K, foods with high saturated and trans fat should be avoided.
- High-fat foods are not a source of energy. Hence, you should avoid butter, creams, sauces such as mayonnaise, ketchup, meats with visible fat, snacks, cheeses with high fat content, etc.
- Eat lean meats or rich in unsaturated fats. Foods rich in saturated fats should be replaced by vegetable oils (olive, corn, sunflower, grape, canola, etc.), lean meats: sea fish, skinless chicken, defatted beef.
- The protein consumption should be moderate between 15 and 20% of the total caloric value.
- Diets for endurance athletes should be higher in protein. In the case of athletes who perform resistance work such as athletes, it is necessary to increase protein intake. This can be achieved naturally, without resorting to dietary supplements with high protein content.
- It is recommended an intake between 1 and 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of weight. Protein-rich foods are meats in general, which should be without fat, egg (more precisely egg white), low-fat dairy (milk, yogurt, cheeses).
Remember that slimming diets for overweight athletes contemplate basically, the needs that can have a person who performs high performance physical activity. However, you must take into account the correct guidelines of a diet low in calories, which allows you to lose weight, without losing energy or sports performance.